01 April 2005

New SF Site, Emerald City, and Rain Taxi

If you're looking for lots of reviews, now is your chance: new issues of SF Site, Emerald City, and Rain Taxi's online edition are alive and kicking.

The new SF Site includes a fairly long essay I wrote about two books from Tachyon Publications -- The James Tiptree Award Anthology 1 and Her Smoke Rose Up Forever, a reissue of the excellent collection of Tiptree's stories. The latter is one of the few truly essential collections of SF short fiction.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Matthew,
    just found your blog via SF site and your very considered and interesting article on Alice/James (given the number of authors over the centuries with dual identities I'm moved to wonder if anyone has ever conducted a psychological experiment to see if authors are more susceptible to multiple personality disorders?).

    Oddly enough I'm right in the middle of writing a brief article for the new Forbidden Planet International magazine that comes out this summer (Cheryl Morgan is writing us a piece on Worldcon for it and James Lovegrove has written a piece on how he got into reading comics). The subject matter is women in SF... Oh, the timing! So as well as finding it very interesting it was a fortutious time for me to spot it.

    Alas, it is only a short article and I could happily write an entire 3000 word essay on Ursula's Left Hand of Darkness, never mind a potted history of women and SF... As a further coincidence I mentioned Leigh Brackett. As I started work on another article on new books to watch for I spot in Gollancz's catalogue for July a Leigh Brackett collection in the Masterworks series...

    Regards,
    Joe, Edinburgh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear from you, Joe, and I'm thrilled I could be of some help. Gollancz's Masterworks series is phenomenal -- they've got quite a few titles that aren't available in any sort of edition over here, and now and then I get horribly jealous of you Brits....

    ReplyDelete